Creamy White Bean, Potato and Kale Soup with Vegan Sausage
- 1 diced onion
- 2 stalks diced celery
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 C. vegetable stock
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, skins left on, cut into large chunks
- 1 can white beans (I used cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1 t. liquid smoke
- 1 t. fennel seeds
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 vegan sausages. I used these incredible Vegan Italian Sausages from Field Roast, you could use 8 oz. of diced use mushrooms instead, add 1 t. Italian seasonings and double the fennel seeds to get a similar flavor profile if you can’t find Field Roast near you or if you have a gluten intolerance.
- 4 C. baby kale
- 2 C. cashew cream (1 c. cashews, 1 1/2 C. water and 2 T. nutritional yeast blended til creamy in a power blender, if you don’t have a power blender, soak the cashews overnight and do this in a normal blender).
- 1/2 C. dry sherry
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Method: Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in your soup pot, break the Field Roast Italian Vegan Sausages into crumbles and add to the pot. Saute til the crumbles get a bit crispy looking. Add the onion and sauté til translucent, about 2-5 minutes. Add celery and carrot and sauté for a few minutes more. Add potatoes and garlic and let sauté for a minute more. Add the vegetable stock, dry sherry, white beans, fennel seeds, crushed red pepper flakes and liquid smoke. Cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Add in cashew cream, the baby kale and season with salt and pepper to taste.