There’s not much I love better than a good grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of tomato soup. It was a childhood favorite of mine that now I make a little more grown up. No more of that canned soup, oh and of course we’re using vegan cheese now.
Happy National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
Foxy Moxy, Basil and Tomato on Seeded Multi-Grain Bread
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 Recipe of my homemade fresh and fast vegan Foxy Moxy Cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Seeded Multi-Grain Bread (or bread of choice, use GF for GF peeps)
- Vegan Butter or Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Method: Preheat your grilling pan over medium heat. Butter the bread slices with vegan butter or a brushing of olive oil, slather the interior with a hefty spread of Foxy Moxy, layer with the tomatoes and basil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side.
Vegan Tomato Basil Bisque
- 1 Spanish Onion, finely diced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 T. olive oil (optional)
- One 28 oz can of quality Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 C. good vegetable stock ( I use this one)
- 1/4 C. dry sherry (optional)
- 1/2 C. Cashews (soaked for 4-6 hours if you don’t have a power blender)
- 1 C. water
- 1/4 C. fresh chopped Basil
- 1 t. agave or pure maple syrup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Method: In your soup pot heat olive oil (or use vegetable broth if you are oil free) over medium high heat. Add the Spanish onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and saute for a minute or two more. Add the crushed tomatoes, the vegetable broth, dry sherry and the agave or pure maple syrup. Put on the lid and reduce heat to a simmer. While the soup is simmering, blend the cashews with the water until completely smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Pour into the soup pot, add the fresh basil, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.