TRASH SANDWICH. Ok ok ok. I have been making fun of the banana peel trend for weeks on end now. Basically laughing at any and every vegan who is dumb enough to eat banana peels. Then my friend Amanda posted a BBQ banana peel sandwich on Instagram that pushed me over the edge, cause that girl def don’t mess around with gross food. Drum roll: I HATE that I love it. It’s incredibly weird and incredibly good. I don’t know what else to say. So I made this blog post. Try it if you dare.
Edit: I do not recommend whatever recipes are floating around with a million views. Banana peels def need more than just a quick jaunt in a skillet with some seasonings. Otherwise, IMHO they will be disgusting and bitter and have a super nasty texture.
Instant Pot Banana Peel BBQ Sandwiches
- 4-6 slightly spotty banana peels, washed thoroughly, stems removed, the rest shredded finely (like pulled pork) with the tines of a small fork. No need to remove the pithy interior. Make sure to use the innards in a smoothie or in banana bread!
- 1 finely sliced sweet onion
- 1 finely sliced red bell pepper
- 8 oz very finely sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup (reserve!)
- Vegan butter (optional, 2-4 tablespoons)
Add everything except the ketchup and the optional vegan butter to the instant pot. Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes instant release. After releasing pressure, add the ketchup and if desired (for a more realistic mouthfeel, add the vegan butter). Turn the instant pot sauté function on. Allow to cook with for another 5-10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed stirring often so the bottom doesn’t burn. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4.
I served mine on toasted French bread with banana peppers and vegan mayo.