My mom brought me nearly a gallon of roasted salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) last time she came to visit. I’ve been using them in everything, but this post is all about the best salad dressing EVER. You’ll pretty much want to drink it from the jar once you’ve made it. You can serve it over any type of salad. Last night we had it over baby greens, artichoke hearts and white beans. However the carrot ribbons are cute and whimsical, plus this dish reminds me of an unusual (but tasty) salad my mom used to make when I was little: shredded carrot, mayo, sugar, raisins, salt and pepper. I like to think of this as my grown up version. Thanks mom for all the lovely pepitas!
Pepita Maple Butter Salad Dressing
- 1/4 C. pepita butter (I made the pepita butter in my blendtec: 3 C. roasted salted pepitas, processed and scraped down, over and over until smooth, this took just a couple minutes) OR you could use 1/2 C. pepitas
- 1/4 C. pure maple syrup (if desired, halve this amount for a more savory dressing)
- 2 T. bragg’s liquid aminos
- 3 T. plant milk of choice, I used soy
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 T. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 clove minced garlic
Method: In a power blender, blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Dressing will be a bit thin, but thickens nicely in the fridge. If you don’t have a power blender, or a food processor to make the pepita butter, soak the pepitas for a few hours before blending the dressing.
For the Carrot Ribbon Salad:
- 2-3 Carrots per person, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- Roasted and Salted Pepitas for sprinkling over salad
- Cranberries or Raisins for sprinkling over salad
- A few tablespoons of the above dressing, per person