Now this is the way to kick off the Vegan MOFO! I’ve been on a quest to perfect the veggie burger since I went veg. It needed to be hearty, not crumble everywhere and taste delicious. I loved the Black Bean Veggie Burger at Smashburger, until I found out that neither the burger nor the bun were vegan and the calorie count was 670 stinking calories and 36 fat grams, -without sides! Blast!
Black Bean Veggie Burger
Adapted, veganized and healthified from this awesome recipe.
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro
- 2 t. hot sauce (I like sriracha)
- 1/2 C. grated pepper-jack cashew cheez or other vegan cheese shreds
- 1/4 C. finely minced red onion
- 2 T. vital wheat gluten or 2 T. ground flax seed (binders, gluten works best for a non-crumbly burger, but if you’re gluten free, flax is a decent sub)
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/3 C. masa harina (finely ground corn flour, the kind used for making tamales)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 minced jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed for less heat if desired
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- 1-2 t. spike seasoning
- 2 T. Water
It really needed a vegan makeover….
Method: In a large bowl, mash beans with a potato masher, leaving some beans whole. Add in all other ingredients and mix with your hands until all combined. Refrigerate burger mixture for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove from fridge, divide into 8 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and smash into a thin 3-4 inch round patty with the palm of your hand. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange patties on tray, spray tops of patties lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 20 -25 minutes, turning once.
Serve up with some of these home baked oven fries (1 potato/sweet potato per person, cut into fries, toss all in a large bowl with a small amount of olive or coconut oil, seasonings/salt/pepper to taste bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy) and this cucumber salad. Top with guac, lettuce, tomato, pickles, sliced onion, sliced jalapeno (if you like it like that), sliced pepper jack cashew cheez (not pictured, used up the last of it in the burgers), organic ketchup or bbq sauce and of course, dijon mustard. Best served on a whole grain pretzel bun… Recipe for the pretzel bun coming tomorrow!